Micronutrient Health Blog | SpectraCell Laboratories - January 2014

Now Offering COVID-19 PCR and Antibody Testing. Learn More

Live Well

News that matters for your health.

Calcium the MOST abundant mineral in the body!

Calcium is the most abundant mineral in the body, with 99% residing in bones and teeth. As a component of hard tissues, calcium fulfills a structural role to maintain body size and act as attachments for musculoskeletal tissues. The remaining 1% of calcium is present in blood and soft tissues. Functions of non-skeletal calcium include: enzyme activation, second messenger roles (transmitting hormonal information), blood clotting, cell and cell organelle membrane function (stabilization and tra... Read More
Posted by Elissa Rodriguez at Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Folate, how vital is it to YOU?

Folate also known as folic acid is needed to produce blood cells and other new tissue cells.  Folate is a generic term for a group of pteridine compounds essential for one-carbon unit metabolism.  Folates are involved in the synthesis of DNA, RNA and tRNA necessary for cell growth.  Folates are required for metabolism of methionine, histidine, tryptophan, glycine, serine and formate.  Interactions with vitamin B6 and B12 also occur from common metabolic pathways.  Fol... Read More
Posted by Elissa Rodriguez at Wednesday, January 15, 2014